Local Time: Print

Business Travel

Business Customs

Finland is a modern, commercially mature country that enjoys close relations with its Nordic neighbors.  Social and business protocol is similar to that in the United States and requires no special mentions of taboos.  It is worth noting that relationships are important within the social and business world, as Finns prefer to deal with people they know and trust.

Visa Requirements and Business Mobility Generally

Finland is a party to the Schengen agreement.  As such, U.S. citizens may enter Finland for up to 90 days for tourist or business purposes without a visa.  The passport should be valid for at least three months beyond the period of stay.  Visa applications should be submitted to a Finnish diplomatic mission before entry into Finland.

A foreigner needs a residence permit in order to stay in Finland for a longer period of time.  However, residence permits are also needed for short stays of less than three months if the purpose of the stay is to work in Finland.  Residence permits require either a valid passport or a travel document. Foreigners must have work permits if they intend to work in Finland.  Exceptions are citizens of the Nordic countries or citizens of EU/EEA countries.  EU-citizens outside the Nordic countries need to apply for an EEA-card from the local police for stays exceeding 90 days. A n EEA-card is a combined work and residence permit.  For more travel information please go to http://www.travel.state.gov.