Local Time in Japan: Print

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What programs does the Department of Commerce have to assist U.S. exporters in the U.S.?
A: A trade specialist located at the nearest Export Assistance Center (EAC) of the Department of Commerce can assist you in obtaining market information and applying for Commerce's export promotion programs and services. For information on ITA services, phone your nearest DOC Export Assistance Center or (800) USA-TRAD(E) or on the Internet access ITA's website at http://trade.gov.

Q: How can I find market information on a specific industry?
A: Summaries of Market research reports on specific industry sectors, prepared by Commercial Service Japan offices are available from "Industry Highlights". The U.S. government's trade policy reports are also available from the U.S. Embassy's website. Reports prepared by other organizations can be found in the Japanese Market Information under “Links" menu.

Q: How can I find a Japanese agent or distributor for my product?
A: The Commercial Service Japan offers a variety of services and tools to help U.S. exporters find a partner. Please refer to our “Services for U.S. Companies” section for a complete list.

Q: Where can I find tariff information for Japan?
A: Tariff Schedule by Customs and Tariff Bureau gives you tariff rates of Japan.

Q: Is there a way to obtain financial information and credit reports on a Japanese company?
A: We provide International  Company Profile(ICP) service. ICP helps U.S. companies evaluate potential business partners with confidence by providing detailed research reports on Japanese firms. Please refer to our "Services for U.S. Companies" section. Also, a list of credit reporting firms is available from the "Business Service Providers" menu along with other business support firms in Japan.

Q: How can I get assistance exporting agricultural products, processed foods and wood products to Japan?
A: The U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Trade Offices (ATO) in Tokyo and Osaka assist U.S. exporters of agricultural products. Please contact atotokyo@fas.usda.gov or call +81-3-3505-6050.

Q: Does the U.S. Embassy Tokyo have an official website?
A: The U.S. Embassy Tokyo's website includes economic and trade policy reports, visa and passport information and useful links to U.S. government agencies and various organizations.

Q:I am interested in setting up an office in Japan. What do I need to know? What resources exist to help me? And how can I find office space in Japan?
A:  JETRO's Invest Japan Business Support Centers(IBSCs) in major cities in Japan provide temporary offices for foreign exporters free of charge for a period of time. "Business Service Providers" on our site includes a list of business support organizations.

Q: Where can I find information on importing Japanese products to the U.S.?
A: JETRO offices in the U.S. assist you to find Japanese suppliers.


image for faq