The process has begun: we are now developing the ITA Trade Events Program Calendar for events scheduled to take place January 1 through December 31, 2009. Depending on your role, here’s what you should have received so far:
- Annual Trade Event Promotion Cable (USDOC 2148): sent to all posts (March 10, 2008)
- Follow-up email: OIO and ODO personnel only (March 12, 2008)
- More extensive e-mail: Import Administration, Manufacturing and Services, and Market Access and Compliance points of contact only (This e-mail contained a copy of the Milestone for Developing Calendar Year 2009 Trade Promotion Event Program Cable, instructions on how to enter a trade event proposal into eMenu and the guidelines for describing an event.)
The type of events you should submit proposals for are as follows:
- Trade missions
- Certified trade missions
- Trade fairs (including trade fair certification and regular trade fairs where you would be selling booth space, with the funds deposited with CS)
- Catalog events and trade promotion events
Some of the highlighted dates from the cable include:
- April 18: Post trade event proposals are due in eMenu.
- May 2: GTP, IA, MAC, MAS, ODO field and ITA team trade event proposals are due in eMenu.
- May 5–May 12: All ITA units should enter comments in eMenu in reference to other units requesting their recruitment support or event hosting assistance.
- June 16: Calendar will be approved in eMenu.
Questions? Contact your trade event coordinator or country manager for OIO:
Jerry.Jones@mail.doc.gov for GTP; Laura.Hellstern@mail.doc.gov for ODO; Brad.Anderson@mail.doc.gov for teams.
Fiscal Year 2006
- The Department of Commerce initiated and supported 12 Trade Missions and 28 Certified Trade Missions.
- 550 U.S. firms traveled to 37 overseas markets.
- 374 export successes, valued at $230.2 million, were reported in FY06 for Trade Missions and Certified Trade Missions.
Fiscal Year 2007
- The Department initiated and supported 14 Trade Missions and 23 Certified Trade Missions.
- 500 U.S. firms traveled to 29 overseas markets.
- 411 export successes, valued at $120.7 million, were reported in FY07 for Trade Missions and Certified Trade Missions.
Fiscal Year 2008
- The Department initiated and supported six Trade Missions 16 Certified Trade Missions.
- 360 U.S. firms traveled to 19 export markets.
- To date, 60 export successes, valued at $69.3 million, from Trade Missions and Certified Trade Missions.