What Should I Consider When Making the Decision to Begin Exporting?
There is a range of options for becoming involved in exporting; from filling orders for domestic buyers, such as export trading companies, who then export the product, to exporting directly yourself. Regardless of which method you choose, a detailed and thorough strategy should be developed. Steps in developing such a strategy include:
- Determining if you are really willing to make a commitment to international markets by evaluating whether your company is "export-ready". For more information, click here.
- Evaluating your product's export potential and developing an export marketing plan. For more information, click here.
- Identifying key foreign markets for your products and conduct due diligence on potential foreign partners through market research. For more information, click here.
- Evaluating distribution and promotional options and establishing an overseas distribution system. For more information, click here.
- Determining export prices, payment terms, methods and techniques. For more information, click here.
- Familiarize yourself with shipping methods and export documentation procedures and requirements. For more information, click here.
- Familiarizing yourself with export licensing regulations (i.e., can you legally ship your product from the United States?), foreign standards and certification, as well as legal considerations related to contracts and intellectual property. For more information, visit our webpage about regulations.