Is there a tariff or quota that applies to my product in a foreign country?

A Flag

  • order to determine a specific tariff, you must first classify your product according to its Harmonized System Number.
  • Harmonized System Classification is a standardized numerical method of classifying traded products. This ten digit identifying number is assigned to each product and used by customs officials around the world to determine the duties, taxes and regulations that apply to the product. The first six digits are harmonized throughout the world. The last four digits vary by country.
  • obtain your Schedule B number, visit the U.S. Census Bureau's web site at: The Schedule B is published on this web site, and you can classify your own product through a keyword search. Please call our office at (801) 255-1871 with further questions regarding Schedule B Classification.
  • and tax information is available from the Internet, private sources and from the federal government. For official rates, it is always best to contact the country's Customs authority.
  • information can be obtained from the Department of Commerce website. This website contains information on the tariff services available from the federal government and from the private sector, tariff information for countries with a single tariff rate, how to use the Internet websites and how gifts are handled for several countries. The website URL is

Please note: The U.S. Government cannot provide tariff rates for products shipped from one foreign country to another. For tariff rates for importing into the United States, please contact U.S. Customs. Their local office number is: (801) 524-3445